Sunday, September 5, 2010

Snow Days


Have you seen the Crabapple Hill pattern called Snow Days? A friend works at a quilt shop in Kansas and emailed a couple of us to see if we'd be interested in doing it as a block of the month. Me being a glutton for punishment jumped right in and signed up. Month 2 showed up in my mailbox this weekend while I was in Rhode Island dropping my youngest off at college so I figured while the sun is out today I might as well trace it. I realized as I pulled the pattern out that I'd never shown you a picture of month 1 so here it is.
Robin, Michelle, Carolyn and myself are doing it in the colorway that Crabapple Hill suggests using a variegated blue/brown floss, which is gorgeous by the way!!! Nan, who is running the show, is doing hers in purple variegated with purple batiks. Hers is gorgeous as well. You will notice that there is a lot more to this project than most because you first trace onto a cream on cream piece of fabric and then make the alternating blocks, but then you have to trace some more onto those blocks and do more embroidery. It took me approximately 3 weeks doing a little each night in front of the TV but enjoyed every minute of it. I'm going to trace now so I can have it ready.

School reopens here in our town on Tuesday. I'm so sad to be going back to the 7am-3pm grind because I really enjoyed later hours and Fridays off. I'll have to spend a little time tomorrow getting my clothes ready....no more shorts and tee shirts, back to the real world and business attire.

And speaking of school reopening, I mentioned earlier that I took my youngest back to school in Rhode Island yesterday....Senior year for her and happy that it is. She's a wonderful student and is going back this year giving Big Poppy a break on tuition and housing having won scholarships last year but lemme tell you, even knowing it's the last time she had to pack up the car she was no happier than she was the first day going to Penn State 4 years ago..... I am sure May 2011 when she graduates she will be smiling :) and so will Mom and Big Poppy!!!

Hope everyone has a happy Labor Day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peg, this is going to be a stunning quilt! The stitchery will set it off, going into the block the way it does -- I love that. Best wishes to your daughter for her last year!

Conni said...

This one is going to be so pretty! And, only 1 year left for your daughter...you all must be so excited.

Pat said...

What a wonderful project....it will be gorgeous when it's done.

busylizzy said...

Nice job on the block section Peggy. Looking at it, it's pretty but I'm so glad I didn't sign up. I KNOW I would've never stayed caught up. I'll be watching you though!

Laura-IH said...

Oh, my gosh! How cool! I love seeing your BOM projects. Every year I say to myself, "I'm going to sign up for a BOM," but I never do. I know I wouldn't keep up with it! I admire you for getting so much done! : )