Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pinwheel Project

Back in November, in the Winter 2010-2011 Mc Call's Quilting Magazine I found this quilt and I KNEW I had to do it. The quilt finishes up to approximately 79 x 96 and you need 314 4 inch pinwheels....Yes, you read that right 314 pinwheels!!I have a cabinet of Thimbleberries fabrics and a drawer of 3 inch squares in all different colors, not just brown. So, I decided that I'd mix mine up but still use neutrals with them. I started with some blue fabrics and then the holidays hit. I had shopping and some small holiday projects to do so I never got back to doing anything with the project until yesterday.
I know there are a lot of ways to make the half square triangles for the pinwheels, one of which "triangulations papers" works well as per Michelle, but with them you still have to rip the paper off. My method you have to draw the lines, sew and then trim. I guess no matter how you do it, there's a lot
of work to these guys.
My real goal in doing this quilt is to use up as much of the fabric in the cabinet and drawer!
What do you think....think I can make a dent???? I guess we will see when I finish the project!!!






3 comments:

Robin said...

way to go Peg!! woohooo! we're gonna have some gorgeous quilts!!

Laura-IH said...

Oooh, I have that magazine, too! I love that quilt, but I'm not crazy about making pinwheels. I can't wait to see your finished quilt!

Conni said...

How are you coming along on the pinwheels??? It will be gorgeous when you are finished.