Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Fishes and Whales and Crocs Oh My!

     Another baby quilt from my 2016 list done and ready for gifting.  The baby shower is this Sunday so yeah, just in the nick of time :)

      While in Florida back in January I picked up this bundle of fabrics with a particular project in mind.....  A baby boy quilt for a friend of my youngest daughter.  She'd been in the mama's wedding last year and now they're expecting their first baby.  Since we live at the Jersey Shore and are "water" fans I thought making something with fish, ducks, lobsters, whales etc. would be perfect.

I knew I would use these with a Riley Blake light grey dot on white from this nautical line for the background of the half square triangles.   I did 5-1/2 inch blocks so the prints were seen!
I hate when I make blocks small and then all you see is the ducks head or the tail of a whale....I wanted the mama and more importantly the baby to see the items.



I normally send my quilts out for longarm quilting but something this size I can handle on my own machine.  I used a wavy design to mimic the binding fabric.   I'd bought the blue whales yardage for the backing, which matched perfectly.   All in all, a great little quilt for a new little boy.  
I can't wait for the mama to see it!

The quilt measures 40 X 45.

We've been lucky to have a few more nice days here in NJ so we've been taking advantage of the days for walks on the Boardwalk......


My daughter was off from work last week so she came for a walk with us.  Grandpa, Jen, Olivia......


No comments: