Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Do you like yellow?

I've never been big into yellow but as I read blogs and other quilt related articles in magazines etc. I see that everyone says that yellow belongs in every quilt....REALLY?  Well, back in 2011 I did assemble an entire quilt in yellow and white for a friend (Hi Abby) and then back around Easter my oldest daughter sent me an email with a picture of a bedroom that she is trying to duplicate and it's in all yellow, black, greys and white. 
She wants a quilt for her bed and here are the chosen fabrics.
I decided the other day it was time to add some solids and more yellows from my stash and get the quilt going. 

I picked the "Happy Hour" book by Atkinson Designs and the pattern is "Snapshots".  NOW...I'd have loved to make the 14 inch blocks but somehow buying fat quarters does not insure that you get an exact 22 x 18 inch piece of workable fabric, especially after washing it.  So, I've had to settle for making 9 inch blocks which means to make a queen size top, I'll be making about 80 blocks or so..... eek!  
I assembled a few last night......

Yeah...the yellow looks much brighter in these pictures than it really is and this is not the real layout, I just threw them on the floor so I could take a picture.....

OH...and coincidentally, at retreat back in May, my friend Laura was working with these exact fabrics.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAURA (you firecracker). 
I wish I'd taken a picture of her project but somehow that slipped past me.

I guess over the next week or two I'll get these assembled and a final picture posted.

In the meantime, Happy 4th of July!

Peggy

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep, I recognized those fabrics! I've never been a fan of yellow but I have to say I love this color combination.

The Other Barb said...

This quilt will be as striking as the turqoise one. I also have the Happy Hour book & have made several things from it. A great book!

The Other Barb said...

This quilt will be as striking as the turqoise one. I also have the Happy Hour book & have made several things from it. A great book!