Monday, December 19, 2016

Orca Bay

       Yes, I said Orca Bay.....which was Bonnie Hunter's 2011 Mystery.  I wasn't on the "Mystery Train" at that point but one Saturday in January 2012 I had 2 friends here from out of state and both girls had done Orca Bay and brought their tops with them for the visit.  I was mesmerized with this quilt and at that point I said I'd have to join in and do the next one.  I did join in and have been doing the mysteries since 2012 and enjoying each and every one.

         My friend that did the mystery originally brought me all her steps printed off....what was to stop me from making Orca Bay?  Nothing except life, children, grand babies etc.......  But, earlier this year I pulled out the instructions and the bin of fabrics I'd collected fabrics in and voile....off I went starting it.  Here is what I have so far..........

28 neutral/red/black Ohio Stars with neutral backgrounds and 28 block with red center Ohio Stars with just a tiny bit of the neutral.   (I LOVE THEM)


I'm working out of order here so my next step completed is 64 Red String blocks.

I finished them yesterday and even sat and pulled the papers off.....


Bonnie suggests using telephone book paper for the foundation and lowering your stitch length, which I did and it worked like a charm!  

Now, the last step I have completed is blue strings.....

Aren't these awesome?   The red ones are 5-1/2 inches and then get cut on the diagonal...these are only 3-1/2 inchers and I have 72 of them....and man o man did I collect a variety of blues.  (can you tell I like polka dots? LOL)

I'm ready to move onto the next step which is 354 2 inch half square triangles............I did almost cry at the enormous # of them but I told hubby at lunch that I'll do 100 at a time till I'm done!  I made almost that many for my "Jamestown Landing" quilt so I can do it for Orca Bay!

Peggy




No comments: