Saturday, June 11, 2011

Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt



Well, I've had this book for a few weeks or so, I'm not really sure, but I did buy it after Marti Michell posted that she'd be helping out with the cutting of the blocks in this quilt by using her templates and cutting instructions. The instructions are free by email every 2 weeks.

I signed up and then the other night I pulled the book out and started reading some of the stories. I really hadn't thought I'd do this quilt NOW but maybe sometime in the future. I have 2 sets of Marti's templates and after reading the stories and seeing my 2 buds Robin and Michelle say they were going to start it I thought "what de heck". I have a lot of fabric and a nice variety to choose from. I could do Thimbleberries and keep in the colorway of the author or I could use just random scraps or I could do it in 30's.

I have a TON of 30's prints and solids and truthfully, some have been sitting in the drawer in my sewing room for a good 10 years now....so the choice was easy, 30's!

I did order 4 template sets and I'm just waiting for them to come so I can start.


Are you doing this one?

What size? What fabric?


I am going to go with Queen size. 6x6 blocks = 111 blocks set on pointe! I am going to make this easy on myself though....I'm not making anything that needs an inset seam or looks like it might try my patience. Sewing is supposed to be fun and at my age, that's exactly what I'm going to do...Have fun!!! I'm also going to start at the beginning with block #1 and work my way forward. I don't want to miss anything or get myself confused....


So, I'll be reporting back on my progress, and with luck I can keep up.


3 comments:

Yvette said...

I am so glad you are thinking about jumping on and doing this quilt. I am about 25 blocks in and am doing the 11 6" blocks. I am putting the quilt together as I go and I love it!

Do it!!!

Robin said...

I'm so happy we're all doing it together Peg!! I'm going to do with Thimbleberries fabrics 'cause I have a boatload of scraps to bust!! woohoo for a new project!

Library Gal Quilts said...

Hi! I wonder if you can send me a link to howmto sign up for the Marti Mitchell instructions... I just cant find it! Thanks, Pam