Thursday, April 24, 2014

Tone it Down

     I  started making blocks for the "Tone It Down" project back in January I think but set it aside to do a few quilts that I needed to do and when I pulled them out to start back on them, I realized that I wasn't overly thrilled with the colorway.  What I really wanted was to do it just like it is in the APQ magazine.....so, I pulled out reds, oranges, yellows, blues and greens and a HUGE pile of low volume/neutral fabrics from my stash and yesterday I got to cutting.....

I chose a nice variety of reds, oranges and pinks for the 9 patch blocks that make that X design across the entire top.  I wanted to have a good mix of the greens yellows and blues as well so I went with darks and lights.  

One of my favorite low volume fabrics is the piece on the magazine.  Those are the cutest little fish and the fabric underneath are all different colored castles.  
I'm always amazed when I see all the low volume fabrics that are for sale out there both in shops and on the internet.

I made a sample block this afternoon and laid out a 2nd one before i started to get too tired to sew anymore.  I'll get that stitched up tomorrow and then I'll put the bin of fabrics away to bring with me on retreat in May.
I'm not sure what I'll work on tomorrow but I'll be back with an update.



No comments: