Friday, May 30, 2014

A Little Update

     I know I've been bad at updating my blog but I just didn't feel like I had much to really say.

     A few weeks ago I went to a quilting retreat!  I worked ENDLESSLY on the parts for my "Tone It Down" quilt and although I did get a few blocks done, I didn't make enough progress to please me...especially since I'd been working on the blocks for 3 days  UGH!





     I did do a Jelly Roll Race Quilt with some of the others.  Mine was not made with a jelly roll per se, I cut my own strips from my polka dot stash and did it that way.

 That's mine hanging off the ironing board and a picture of me that my friend Vickie took while I was sewing it up.   Below is a picture of 6 of our quilts.  There was a variety of fabric lines used and you'll notice quilt #1, well she added a 2-1/2 inch white square to the end of each strip to add a little "something" to hers.  It looked awesome that way.
My quilt should be back from my quilter tomorrow so I can't wait to see the magic she worked on it.

My friend Robin brought a small wall hanging sized quilt called "My Favorite Things" with her for show n tell which got everyone riled up.....oh yeah, put a bunch of women quilters in one room and you're bound to have little quilt envy so it was a hoot to see everyone with their iPads and cell phones out checking out the project.....

I was no exception either.  I was on my smart phone before the day was out ordering the kit....I think that was on Saturday.  Well, I got home on Sunday and the darn kit was in my mailbox on Tuesday I think.  Talk about fast service!  
 
I have the first 3 blocks cut and fused but haven't gotten back to doing the hand buttonhole stitching yet.  They're small 4-1/2 inch blocks so they'll go fast and will be perfect for one of those hot nights when I'm needing something small to work on.

     While in Indiana we went to 2 quilt stores, Back Door Quilts and Quilts Plus.  Two really nice shops with nice people working in there.  I was on a mission to get some fat quarters of kiddie fabric to start thinking on baby quilts.  The girls in Quilts Plus were having a ball cutting mine....one for me, one for them.  Then you hear "where did this come from?"  They had such a fun time, as did we.
These are the fabrics I bought to add to what I already have in my stash, and then I bought a yard of this hammerhead shark fabric and made the "mama to be" a large pillow for resting her baby on as she starts to grow.


She was here visiting last weekend and loved it!

Well, those fat quarters will not sew themselves up so I'm off to get working on at least one of the quilts.

































1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Oh my goodness I love that hammer head shark fabric!! All your fat quarters are fun, too. I've been so bad about updating lately, too. Though, mostly just been hand sewing lately so that isn't quite as exciting.