Friday, September 12, 2014

Modern Building Blocks

     Are you doing the Moda Modern Building Blocks?  There are a lot of shops doing it in a variety of fabrics but I wanted to do mine in the original Moda Bella Solids.  I received my kit in the mail last week and I was thrilled with the fabric colors!    The finished quilt will finish up at 84 X 96 and with all the solids I am thinking I'll have to find something interesting for the back.

     The kit came in a nice box which will come in handy for holding all the fabric, the block cards and a color chart so we use the right colors for each block, and don't run out because of an "oopsie".

       I finally opened the box and took out the fabric and labeled each of the 21 pieces and decided I NEEDED to cut at least one block out yesterday.

      Block #1 is 36 X 36 and to give you some insight into the actual size of the block, here's a picture of the star points....
That star point is next to a table topper where the geese are 1-1/2 X 2 inches...that behemoth measures 9 X 18-1/2!   The corners of the star are 9-1/2 X 9-1/2....That's the size of a lot of the blocks I make for quilts!!   CRAZY huh?

I enjoyed the whole process of block #1 and I'm thinking that I'll do a block every week or so and just take my time with this project.  

Here is Block # 1 in all it's glory!


Peggy







2 comments:

gailss said...

Looks good Peggy and yes, that is a very large block....that's why it will be a big quilt top.
Nicely done and love the colors!

The Other Barb said...

Wow, that is a big flying goose ! lol The finished block looks great!